Friday, September 27, 2013

Helen Keller – A classic inspiration

It was a cold winter afternoon in 1920. A large number of people were gathered in a hall to witness a different show. The curtains went up. A majestic middle-aged woman introduced herself to the audience. It was Anne Sullivan. Anne made a brief speech. Everyone listened attentively to her sweet-sounding words. Later another woman, beautifully dressed and pleasant-looking, walked on to stage. Anne introduced the women as her student.
Then the women started speaking. She struggled hard to let out each word. The audience too struggled to grasp what she said. Still they, kept their ears strained and sharp. The audience were immensely touched by her speech. Her words could be summed up this way: “My teacher told you how her one word touched the darkness of my mind and how I woke up to the bliss of life. I was dumb; now I can speak. I am obliged to the hands and hearts of others for this achievement. Through their love I came to see my mind; I could see God, I could find happiness. In fact, we all live for helping others and for being helped. By remaining united we can do a lot of things. Only love can break down the walls that stand between us and our happiness. The greatest commandment is to love one another. I would like to thank God at the top of my voice for all the love, happiness and hope that would be coming to me.” The lady was none other than Helen keller, the American author, political activist and lecturer who was deaf, blind and dumb.
The audience there had come to get a glance of this ‘living miracle’ much more than hearing a lecture. Most of them were curious as if they were viewing a rare creation. But Helen Keller’s glory lies in the fact that she suffered all such humiliations and fought bravely for the rights of the physically handicapped people. Even today, the life of Helen who successfully conquered obstacles in life is indeed a source of inspiration and zeal for millions of people.
The eventful life of Helen Keller has ever been an inspiration for the physically disabled and for those who suffer discrimination of any kind. She advocated and struggled for their rights till the end of her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment